Tuesday, April 28, 2015

What in your opinion represented the greatest political or social achievements of Progressive-era reform? Identify at least one that you believe...

I would have to say that I believe that votes for women was the greatest achievement of the Progressive Era. This is not something that impacts my life on a day-to-day basis, but it is probably the most important thing that happened in that era.


I would identify this as the most important thing that the Progressives accomplished because it is the one that did the most to right an injustice.  When our country was...

I would have to say that I believe that votes for women was the greatest achievement of the Progressive Era. This is not something that impacts my life on a day-to-day basis, but it is probably the most important thing that happened in that era.


I would identify this as the most important thing that the Progressives accomplished because it is the one that did the most to right an injustice.  When our country was founded, suffrage was very limited.  Only white men could vote, and even among white men, only those with some amount of property were allowed to vote in most states.  One important trend that has occurred over the course of US history has been the extension of rights to more and more people. This is what makes the ratification of the 19th Amendment such a great achievement.  It made our system much fairer and more just.


Of course, this achievement does not really affect my life all that much.  I’m male, so it doesn’t affect me directly at all.  However, it did help to create a society in which men and women are on a much more equal basis. This has affected me by affecting the way I interact with women in my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...