Tuesday, December 29, 2015

How does the first act of Tartuffe address concerns about "the possibility of sharp discrepancies between social appearance and the 'truth' of...

The idea of sharp discrepancies between truth and appearance are prevalent throughout the play Tartuffe. The author uses the first act to point out some of these discrepancies. One of the best examples of this is the discussion on gossip. Mme. Pernelle tells Elmire that her behavior is causing gossip. “Is something going on? Well I hope not/ You’re being talked about a lot (Act I, Scene I).  Dorine instantly concludes this is because the neighbor is watching them. “It’s our neighbor Daphne, I just know it. They don’t like us. It’s obvious—they show it” (Act I, Scene I). She gives an impassioned speech about why gossip occurs:


Well then they need


new stories for the gossip mill to feed


to all who’ll listen. So they must repaint


The deed of others, hoping that a taint


Will color others’ lives in a darker tone


and by this process, lighten up their own (Act I, scene I).



An example in our society could come from a reality television show.


Another discrepancy between truth and appearance is noticeable in the character of Tartuffe. Although we have not yet met him, he is a topic of discussion in the first act. Of all the major characters, only Mme. Pernelle and Orgon are fond of Tartuffe. “This holy man you think of as uncouth/ Tries to help by telling you the truth (Act I, scene I)” The truth is that Tartuffe is a religious hypocrite who says one thing and does another. Cleante is particularly critical of him: “I see things clearly/ and what I see is loud lip service, merely/ To make exhibitionists seem devout/ Forgive me, but a prayer is not a shout” (Act I, scene 5). Cleante sees Tartuffe’s behavior for what it is: a man pretending to be religious while acting in ways that are not religious. An example in our society could be revered religious figures who preach against an action but do it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...