Thursday, November 26, 2015

On what page is Thoreau's passage beginning "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life,...

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. 


The passage to which your question refers is to be found in Chapter 2 of Walden, which is titled "Where I Lived and What I Lived For." There are, of...


I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. 



The passage to which your question refers is to be found in Chapter 2 of Walden, which is titled "Where I Lived and What I Lived For." There are, of course, many editions of Thoreau's book and the full quote will appear on different pages in different editions. In my paperback Dover Thrift Edition of Walden; or, Life in the Woods, the passage appears on page 59. This is about halfway through Chapter 2. However, it is easy to find it in the study guide for Walden, which contains the complete eText of the book. You can get to the study guide by clicking on the reference link below. The study guide for Walden also contains many pages of valuable reference material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...