Friday, November 13, 2015

Can someone please help me with a title for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer?

It sounds to me like you need to come up with a different title for Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  That is an interesting problem, because I have always thought that the title to the book was a bit boring.  All of my teachers emphasized the importance of a catchy title to any papers that I wrote.  For example "Memphis Belle Research Paper" was not an acceptable title.  Of course, all of...

It sounds to me like you need to come up with a different title for Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  That is an interesting problem, because I have always thought that the title to the book was a bit boring.  All of my teachers emphasized the importance of a catchy title to any papers that I wrote.  For example "Memphis Belle Research Paper" was not an acceptable title.  Of course, all of my science professors wanted the title to explicitly say what the paper was about, so the more boring the better.  Titles are hard.  


Twain's title works in the way that my science professors liked.  I think you are being asked to make it more "literature teacher-like."  I can't write out a title word for word for you, because it's important that your title is something that you feel passionate about.  I can steer you in the right direction and perhaps spark some thoughts.  I would focus on the character of Tom and base a title off of that.  He's mischievous, daring, brave, and caring all at the same time.  Tom is also constantly manipulating people.  He manipulates his friends, he manipulates the townspeople, etc.  You could base your title on that personality trait.  For example, if I made a movie about somebody that kills and terminates people, I would title it The Terminator. You could go along the same vein for somebody that manipulates people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...