Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Why did Stephen Crane write the poem " I Was in the darkness"?

Stephen Crane (1871 - 1900) was an American poet and author whose literary style has been likened to that of Edgar Allen Poe. This comparison is based on their ability to make the reader feel detached while presenting some very provocative situations.


To question the author's purpose is an act of futility.  Even if you could put the inquiry to them personally, their answer would most probably be something along the lines of, "Because I needed ...

Stephen Crane (1871 - 1900) was an American poet and author whose literary style has been likened to that of Edgar Allen Poe. This comparison is based on their ability to make the reader feel detached while presenting some very provocative situations.


To question the author's purpose is an act of futility.  Even if you could put the inquiry to them personally, their answer would most probably be something along the lines of, "Because I needed to write it."  


"I Was in the Darkness" is from Crane's book of poetry titled The Black Riders and Other Lines. It was first published in 1895, with a very limited printing of 500 copies. 


Though they are only a few words, they speak to the bliss of ignorance.  They clamor to return to that state of being where one was unaware of the pain, misery, or obligation that a situation has brought to fruition.  It begs for destiny to,  "Let me return to that point where I had knowledge of only the joy, not the sorrow."


I was in the darkness;
I could not see my words
Nor the wishes of my heart.
Then suddenly there was a great light --

"Let me into the darkness again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...