Monday, August 15, 2016

Do you think that the use of electronics gets in the way of family bonding? How many hours do you spend on your phone on a daily basis? Do you...

Yes, I think media consumption times get in the way of family bonding.  I teach a unit in my media class about this very same topic.  The minutes per day of media consumption has been steadily rising over the past decade.  There are dozens of studies that have the data to back that statement up.  I've linked one below.  Regardless of the source, daily media consumption totals are consistently over 10 hours per day for...

Yes, I think media consumption times get in the way of family bonding.  I teach a unit in my media class about this very same topic.  The minutes per day of media consumption has been steadily rising over the past decade.  There are dozens of studies that have the data to back that statement up.  I've linked one below.  Regardless of the source, daily media consumption totals are consistently over 10 hours per day for a typical American teen.  That's more hours than time spent in school.  That's more hours than time spent sleeping.  I guarantee it's more hours than time spent interacting with family members.  If people are spending more time consuming media in a predominantly isolated fashion, they are not spending time bonding with family members in an interactive, social situation.  


As for how much time you spend on your phone on a daily basis, you will have to track that on your own.  According the survey data that I provided, the average is almost three hours per day.  


Do I think children lack knowledge because of the frequent use of electronics.  Yes and no.  Yes, I'm sure that some knowledge is being lost.  But that lost knowledge is being replaced with other information.  People's brains are not turned off when consuming electronic media.  They are still learning, but it might not be what they should be learning at that time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...