Friday, May 27, 2016

What does Romeo say about removing his name after the Nurse arrives?

In this scene, Juliet's nurse says that Juliet weeps, calls Romeo's name, then weeps more.  Romeo desperately replies, 



As if that name,


Shot from the deadly level of a gun,


Did murder her, as that name’s cursed hand


Murdered her kinsman. O, tell me, Friar, tell me,


In what vile part of this anatomy


Doth my name lodge? Tell me, that I may sack


The hateful mansion.  (3.3.102-108)



Romeo compares his name, Montague, to a...

In this scene, Juliet's nurse says that Juliet weeps, calls Romeo's name, then weeps more.  Romeo desperately replies, 



As if that name,


Shot from the deadly level of a gun,


Did murder her, as that name’s cursed hand


Murdered her kinsman. O, tell me, Friar, tell me,


In what vile part of this anatomy


Doth my name lodge? Tell me, that I may sack


The hateful mansion.  (3.3.102-108)



Romeo compares his name, Montague, to a bullet that kills Juliet just as he killed her cousin.  He asks Friar Lawrence to name the part of his physical body that confirms him as a Montague so he can cut that part out of his body.  Immediately after this declaration, he pulls out his dagger and makes as though he will do himself bodily harm until the friar stops him and calms him down.  Romeo hates his name because it caused the feud between him and Tybalt; if he were not a Montague, then Tybalt would have had no reason to hate him.  This is why Romeo wishes he could get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre a feminist novel?

Feminism advocates that social, political, and all other rights should be equal between men and women. Bronte's Jane Eyre discusses many...